Re: Yarra Trams Article in Sunday Age

"Thomson Family" <thomson@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
A1zd6.93961$xW4.719759@news-server.bigpond.net.au">news:A1zd6.93961$xW4.719759@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>. Seems to me Hubert, that fare evasion is
> just a function of the inadequate ticketing system that is currently in
> place on board trams.

I would have to disagree. As someone who has used public transport in
various parts of the world, the ticketing and purchasing system is better
than most. I agree that it could and should be improved.

For instance, on a recent visit to Kuala Lumpur the trains and platforms
were spotless. Very few staff around (who needs a tribe of cleaners when the
public treats the property with respect), and the trains not only had no
guards, they had no drivers.

I saw an old lady (possibly illiterate) puzzling over the ticket vending
machine and was about to offer help. My Malaysian colleague stopped me.
"Leave her to figure it out for herself:" she said. "It is very important
for her dignity for her to show that she is part of the technological
society and cope with change." It took a couple of minutes and the old lady
had figured it out - and presumably would have no trouble using it next
time.

By contrast, we Melbourne citizens seem to have adopted a "do-it-for-me"
attitude. Like a spoilt child that has not got its own way on conductors and
privatisation, we are coming up with all sorts of petulant excuses for our
disobedience. This is often entrenched by tram drivers and station staff who
have decided that protecting the revenue that pays part of their wages is
'not their problem'.

As someone involved with the tourism industry, visitors often comment to me
on the friendliness and openness of Melbournians. A number, however, are
concerned at the apparent social sanctioning of petty crime (fare evasion,
defacement, etc) on our trains and trams. Now that this culture is firmly
entrenched in Middle Melbourne, I suspect it will take a long time to turn
around, and merely improving the ticketing system will not achieve it.

whitehat