Re: Tempe - Incorrect Signage?

Tezza <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
3a7de673$0$16396$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3a7de673$0$16396$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...

> "Optus" <ds_ready@usa.net> wrote in message
> Uqif6.11474$KY1.33419@news1.rivrw1.nsw.optushome.com.au">news:Uqif6.11474$KY1.33419@news1.rivrw1.nsw.optushome.com.au...
>
> | The 5:08pm from
> | Central to East Hills never arrives at East Hills less than 5 mins late.
> | There are normally no delays along the track on this service yet it can
> | never run close to timetable.
>
> It is generally caused by the all stations Bankers in front of it. They
> delay most East Hills services, which then delay most Campbelltown trains.
> I've never been able to work out why the Bankers run late though, they have
> plenty of catch-up time.

And all too often the down "Banker" runs late because it is held on the rise
to the South West Ocean Outfall between Wolli Creek and Turrella awaiting the
passage of the overtaking Campbelltown/Macarthur service.  My most recent
experience was an on-time ex-Central Banker was held there over 6' minutes the
other week, not far short of half Banker headways.  From my experience over
50% of PM Bankers are held like this for at least a couple of minutes.

In this case the 7' late Camp/Mac service made the Banker 6' late.  Assuming
the down PM Banker makes up no time before East Hills (most have had 1 or 2
extra stops added compared with the original 21/05/00 'table dashing recovery
hopes) the following Camp/Mac service would have been at least 5' late through
East Hills and the following Camp/Mac service 2' late ex east Hills, 4 late
runners for the price of 1!

Two tracks Turrella - East Hills with no overtaking facility and/or lack of
intermediate turnback facility (with a separate turnback road) is the problem.
There are 9 intermediate stations and in most peak quarter hours 1 Banker and
2 through Camp/Mac services with different stopping patterns.  Each train is
no more than 2' to 3' behind the preceding service at some point and no more
than 2' to 3' ahead of the following service at a different point, that's the
compounding factor.

Sadly quadruplication from Turrella to Kingsgrove will only bring limited
improvement, the largest benefit being the cessation of Bankers stopped on the
sewer climb.  It will also bring a little more latitude in timetabling but not
a significant amount as long as one Camp/Mac service each quarter hour uses
the Airport Line. The loss of separate turnback facilities at Turrella needs
equivalent facilities provided at Kingsgrove, we'll have to wait and see on
that one.

And whilst this is bad, the sharing of 2 tracks Glenfield to Macarthur tops it
right off.

4 tracks Turrella - Riverwood with separate turnback road at Riverwood is the
better solution.  Quarter hourly Bankers all stations via AL to Riverwood and
2 Camp/Mac services/quarter hour (1 via AL) picking up stations Riverwood to
Macarthur.

Chris