Re: [NSW] Five (in a car) thought dead after train crash

"ROBERT SCHROEDER" <bobschroeder@optushome.com.au> wrote in message
2anc7t8vv4p8ldsjvmer0tvljkc0kb452a@4ax.com">news:2anc7t8vv4p8ldsjvmer0tvljkc0kb452a@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 12:43:20 +1100, Graeme
> <grimegrime@hotmailremove.com> wrote:
>> In article <3a75ffb8$0$16378
>> $7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>,
>> alpout@optusnet.com.au says...
>>> Patrick <patrick@trafficgiant.net> wrote in message
>>> 950hp9$7k5$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:950hp9$7k5$1@nnrp1.deja.com...

>> Amazing what the average non rail fan can sum up about a railway
>> line in the average period of 17 seconds from when that train
>> hits the approach to when it arrives at the crossing proper.
>> Not having boom gates on a line that has 160kmh traffic is utter
>> stupidity.Its unsafe for the passengers of the train and
>> certainly detrimental to road vehicles.

> Queensland Rail installed boom gates on all level crossings
> between Brisbane and Rockhampton before the Tilt Train started
> operating.

If I had $xM dollars, to spend on Level Crossings, what I would do is spend
it installing Flashing Lights on unprotected crossings, over installing
Booms at Crossings which already have Flashing Lights.

Maximum Speed is a bit of a furphy.  So what if the train can do 160km/h?
If you have built your crossing properly (FL or Booms) you will have a
predictor, so the train motoring along at 160km/h gives 20/25 sec. warning,
and the Ballast train doing 25km/h also gives 20/25 sec. warning time.

Having said this, that crossing is in NSW, so there won't be a predictor.
Therefore if it's set up for 20 sec. at 160km/h, a 'slow' train at 80km/h
will give 40sec.  If there is one thing that will lead to complacency with
locals at a Level Crossing, that's 'unbeleivable' warning at a set of
lights, due to poor design (say a siding on the approach) or reliability
issues (kids & bonds).

--
B.

Email - gunzel412 at dingoblue dot net dot au
ICQ#  - eight two three two nine seven three four
Phone - long, short, long, long.