Re: [Melb] Removal of trams effect business

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 19:08:31 +1100, "William Pearce"
<ben_issacs@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>    Fellow Travellers,
>    My impression is that most tram drivers hate the Ws.

Ask most drivers what they think of passengers, and they don't like
them much either, but they know that they need them to keep their
jobs!

Maybe you are right that some drivers don't like W's, but do they hate
them so much that they don't want them in service?  Ask any City
Circle driver what they think about the lack of W's and they might
mention the lack of overtime since they were taken off the road!
Maybe not the correct reason for bringing them back into service to
soon, but rather wait until they are fixed.

  It is of
>interest to note that the ban was put on these cars after one very cold and
>rainy weekend.

No, they were taken out of service on a Thursday actually...and it was
not raining from memory (and the W's have very good drivers heaters,
so that is not a problem anymore)

 Even if they do get these gee-whiz brakes, I'll bet that they
>will still not last in service for more than a couple of weeks before
>getting banned  again

You might be correct on this one, but because Management of both
companies don't want them!  Read the newspapers lately about the
compaies saying that they did not know the condition of the trams
before they went into the contracts?

What a load of crap!  Are they saying that if they knew of the
conditions of the W's they would not have gone into the contracts?
Don't think so!

Secondly the W's are old vechicles and anybody would know that they
are going to have problems!  If I had a car that was made in 1940 and
had no major overhall since then (apart from a coat of paint) then I
 would know that some money would have to be spent soon.  They can
spent money on their other trams to make them more "modern" even
though some of the B's are only 6-7 years old.

Strange that they are blaming the brakes in the press, but one of the
drivers that was involved in an accident with a W was suspended for
doing the wrong thing, so whos fault is it?

They don't want them, and they will blame anybody/anything to get rid
of them!