Re: White Bay power station and Menangle Milk siding

"Chris" <chrisc@fl.net.au> wrote in message 3a62b596@fl.net.au">news:3a62b596@fl.net.au...
> If you look from Victoria road you can see the letters NSWR&T (or
something
> like that) over a doorway on the power station. NSW railway and tram dept?

NSWR&T = New South Wales Railway & Tramway,  the Tramway was separated from
the Railway in 1930 which was after the power station had been built.  I
once heard a story that at the transfer of the power stations to ELCOM the
deal was that power was always to be supplied to the trains and trams so
that workers could get home even though their homes may have been
blacked-out.  I can remember as a child, during the coal miners' strikes of
late 1940s,  eating dinner cooked on a metho Primus (the gas pressure from
AGL Mortlake was to weak to cook a meal) with a kero lamp for lighting.

Only in the past couple of years has equipment, transformers etc been
decommissioned and removed on the Robert Street side of the site.

Ted