Re: White Bay power station and Menangle Milk siding

Philip Shortus <Shortus@bigpond.com> wrote in message
1tc86.2695$65.17481@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:1tc86.2695$65.17481@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> Hey, I have two questions although one is doesn't have really anything too
> do with the railways
>
> 1) I was at White Bay the other day and saw the power station, does
anybody
> know when it was closed and decommisioned? I heard it was once used to
> supply power too the trains?

White Bay power station supplied all the old Dept of Railway's electrical
needs, it was owned by the railway and even sold power to some areas of
Sydney. But I cannot remember when it was closed down.

> 2) I was looking at a train book the other day and I saw a photo of 3802
at
> Menangle Milk siding in 1965, can anyone tell me where this siding was,
when
> it was closed and is there anything left?

It was situated on the Up side of the line and Sydney end of Menangle
station where the old revolving milking Rotolactor existed. The daily
shunting trip milk train picked up milk bogie wagons there about 1pm. It is
interesting to know that very few dairy farms now exist in the
Campbelltown-Camden area the land having been cut up into hobby farms etc.

> Thanks for all your help
> Bye
> Mark Shortus

franco