Re: White Bay power station and Menangle Milk siding

Philip Shortus wrote:

> Hey, I have two questions although one is doesn't have really anything too
> do with the railways
>
> 1) I was at White Bay the other day and saw the power station, does anybody
> know when it was closed and decommisioned? I heard it was once used to
> supply power too the trains?
>
> 2) I was looking at a train book the other day and I saw a photo of 3802 at
> Menangle Milk siding in 1965, can anyone tell me where this siding was, when
> it was closed and is there anything left?
>
> Thanks for all your help
> Bye
> Mark Shortus

Im not sure when it ceased burning coal, but there are two large gas
fired gas-turbines
(DC10 engines from memory) which feed to the twin stacks on the Balmain
side. They in
those container like housings.

These, along with similar units at Eraring formed an emergency
generation system. The
Eraring units were certainly on standby five years ago and may still be,
along with the
White Bay turbines.

The coal fired generators would have been quite small only 5-10mw, being
of a similar
age to those at Pyrmont and Bunnerong.
--
                	         Ken Kirkby