Re: [SYD] Central Yard signal SY54

> Damien George <damiengeorge@one.net.au> wrote in message
> 3A6A28E9.B0C6F186@one.net.au">news:3A6A28E9.B0C6F186@one.net.au...

<snip>

> The signals within the Strathfeild/Lidcombe area do not have low
> speed indications that are seperate from the bottom head. ALL
> signals within this area that have low speed indications on them form
> part of the main head i.e. the fourth light on the bottom head. The
> additional lamp below the main heads on these signals are call-on
> indications and not low speeds as first thought.

There are numerous signals on all 4 western lines between Homebush and
Lidcombe that have separate low speed indicators (post and gantry mounted but
all autos from memory).  Some are converted "close up" indicators with the
close up sign removed, others have had a low speed inicator added.  The
easiest signals to check are the up signals at Flemington station, both main
and suburban.

These signals (the type) appear to be part of a semaphore replacement
program/new works that occurred across the 70s(?).  The signal type has the
rounded (ends) and flared lens covers and can also be found at Quakers Hill,
Riverstone, Padstow, Sefton to Carramar, down ESR (Illawarra relief) at
Erskinville (where the low-speed indicator is the fourth light on lower head -
are these two sole examples of this style and arrangement?) + ............

As I said in my other post, Redfern - Erskinville on the local lines have the
same set up whether the signals be post or gantry mounted for low speeds.

Chris