Re: [SYD] Central Yard signal SY54

In article <9483pm$918$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  maikha_l@hotmail.com wrote:
> To all
>
> On the 10th of January I was out at Central Station, platform 1 as
> there was SRA Heritage's Red Rattler (Known as a W set) being
> commisioned before being loco hauled by 4918 to Flemo.
> One thing I noticed was that the set was kept on the platform due to
> the red signal SY54 for a frustrating 15mins.
> the XPT next to us on platform 2 was delayed and was supposed to have
> left 10mins ago (Grafton one, the one i thought caught fire near
> Newcastle).
>
> The signal was full red, but then the bottom light on SY54 had lit up
> and the loco hauled train slowly moved out, on its way to Flemo.
>
> As the last trailing red rattler carriage (C7308) passed the signal,
> the bottom light had gone but the rest of the signal was still red.
>
> Here is a picture to explain it:
> http://members.optushome.com.au/electrain/update.html
>
> Can anyone out there give abit of a word on this?
> Thanks
> Maikha "V" Ly
> http://www.geocities.com/microchip_689
> P.S. There were no absolute Gunzels at Central that time other than
> myself and a guy with little son. The rest either were SRA Heritage,
> HET or the nearby contruction workers.
>
> P.P.S. the picture on the given URL is taken by myself, used with
> courtesy by HET (Historic Electric Traction)
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Could be a subsidiary shunt if it showed yellow or a Low Speed if it
showed green, although the latter is generally mounted in the bottom
head. Either one would still display the reds in the main heads. As for
the delay, well I'd say a W Set on it's way to the sheds doesn't have
much priority amongst timetabled trains so the signaller was probably
waiting for an appropriate break.

regards Ian
Signal Design Engineer

Sent via Deja.com