Re: Kiama Downs makes bid for railway station

Depends on what profile the railway wants - the "stuff you we build it this
way" approach is fine if you wish to alienate people but why would you do that
if there's a cost effective way to minimise the visual impact in what is a
beautiful location (and we're not talking 3rd rail, deviations or abandoning
electrification here).  Why there may even be some kudos to garner for
"sensitive" development.

The railway still needs all the support/friends it can get and ignoring
aesthetics just reinforces the perception that railways are last century's
(actually the automobile now has that honour) technology.

As for stanchion type, there may be more than one reason to use a different
profile/design.  It will interesting to see what comments are made on the
issue as a result of the Hatfield derailment in the UK.  A round concrete
profile to my bespectacled eyes (as used in Perth and for a short section on
Brizzie's Beenleigh line) is less obtrusive.

Chris

3a6ab1a4$0$15481$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3a6ab1a4$0$15481$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...