Re: Red Rattlers be damned!

If I recall correctly, the term "Red Rattler" as applied to Sydney's red
single deck suburban stock was coined by the press.  I do not recall just
when, but it would have been after they started to fail in service...

Incidentally, the term "Bradfield" for the early single deck motor cars (not
the Leeds cars) was not used until after the appearance of  Keenan and
Clark's  book "First Stop Central" published by the AETA in 1963.

Before that, they were known as Donkeys or Wooden Motors (despite the metal
sheathing), or by their old class letters EBB, etc.  And their woodwork did
move considerably when in motion so that you had to be careful not to get
your clothing caught.

Regards,
Bob Merchant