Re: Vic opposition calls for more sg lines

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 00:50:12 GMT, James C. <james_ccj@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>> WA and QLD both have SG and NG and again there is no suggestion that
>> either of them reguage their NG networks to SG.
>> Why is Victoria differant??
>
>Victoria system can be done easily as all the rolling stocks(if exclude
>preservation groups) are capable of gauge converting. I think the total
>cost of complete regauge would be same as what Vicroad spent on morning
>tea each year:-). I don't think it's cost effective to regauge QR's
>coal trains/Citytrian EMU/SMUs (So many of them) as well as all the QR
>electrified coal lines.
>
>Also Hasting BHP plant would get easier access to Whyalla/Port Kemble.
>Melbourne's manufactures can send their goods national wide easier,
>save cost and give more advantages to rail operators over road(ie less
>delay).  Export grain trains would get more choices and benifit towns
>like Portland. I think(correct me if I wrong) Victoria have fairly
>large amount of freight volumn goes interstate or coming from
>interstate then WA and SA.
>
>Would it be a good idea to ask all the operators in Victoria to order
>gauge covertable sleepers from now on..?
>
>--
>Cheers
>
>Railway Rasputin
>
>remove <dot> to email
>

>Sent via Deja.com
>http://www.deja.com/

The Spencer St to Long island line is about the only line in Victoria
that needs guage conversion.
It doesnt matter a stuff what the guage is if the freight carried over
that guage remains primarily within the state.
For example, a lot of people keep saying that the Mildura line should
be re guaged to SG.
Whatever for ?
What new freight which currently cannot be carried by train because
the line is BG would be picked up if it was guage converted, and most
importantly justify the conversion costs.
The Mildura line carries primarily grain and fruit and vegetables
which in the main stay within Victoria , ie they go to either melb or
to Geelong. and if the line was reguaged would still go to Melb and
Portland , but the same freight is being carried.
Guage conversion simply for the sake of guage conversion makes no
sense when funds for rail are limited.
It would be far more beneficial to use such limited funds to cut the
costs of the existing operators over the existing lines than simply
spending money guage converting lines.

MD