Re: Vic opposition calls for more sg lines

> WA and QLD both have SG and NG and again there is no suggestion that
> either of them reguage their NG networks to SG.
> Why is Victoria differant??

Victoria system can be done easily as all the rolling stocks(if exclude
preservation groups) are capable of gauge converting. I think the total
cost of complete regauge would be same as what Vicroad spent on morning
tea each year:-). I don't think it's cost effective to regauge QR's
coal trains/Citytrian EMU/SMUs (So many of them) as well as all the QR
electrified coal lines.

Also Hasting BHP plant would get easier access to Whyalla/Port Kemble.
Melbourne's manufactures can send their goods national wide easier,
save cost and give more advantages to rail operators over road(ie less
delay).  Export grain trains would get more choices and benifit towns
like Portland. I think(correct me if I wrong) Victoria have fairly
large amount of freight volumn goes interstate or coming from
interstate then WA and SA.

Would it be a good idea to ask all the operators in Victoria to order
gauge covertable sleepers from now on..?

--
Cheers

Railway Rasputin

remove <dot> to email