Re: DSRM is...

keith malcolm wrote...

> > The sleepers are also a problem. The line was re-sleepered just before
it
> > closed in 1972.
>
> At this point in time then that is irrelevant. Timber sleepers only have
an
> average lifespan of 20 years. You would have had to resleeper the whole
line
> (to at least 1 in 4) not long after opening even with out the legal
> problems.

We started investigating the line in the late 70s. At that time the
condition of the sleepers was relevant. It was still relevant when we leased
the line in 1985. They were still good when we reopened the line in 1986,
and were still good when the State Government cancelled the lease in 1989.
12 years later they are a problem.

Trevor