Re: [NSW] CityRail Ticketing, Part II

"Dave Proctor" <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
iZ9y6.121485$lj4.3638178@news6.giganews.com">news:iZ9y6.121485$lj4.3638178@news6.giganews.com...
> "Al" <alpout@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> 3ac928a3$1$25472$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3ac928a3$1$25472$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> >
> > "Anita Lukaszyk" <neety@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
> > 3AC9239D.E65EBBBE@iprimus.com.au">news:3AC9239D.E65EBBBE@iprimus.com.au...

> > DayTripper
> get
> out) ,
> > but
> > >
> > > A DayTripper is valid for unlimited travel in the suburban area (bounded
> > > by Cowan, Richmond, Emu Plains, Macarthur, Otford). As Morisset is not
> > > in this area, you cannot purchase the ticket. CityHopper's can be
> > > purchased from any CityRail station. This allows return rail travel to
> > > the City plus unlimited rail travel in the City area (Redfern-North
> > > Sydney-City Circle-Martin Pl) and bus travel (not sure of those
> > > boundaries).
> >
> > And since you can pretty much say that a CityHopper and a DayTripper are
> > essentially the same thing, just with different boundaries, then why not
> allow
> > the DayTripper to be bought from outside the area in the same way?
>
> A CityHopper and a DayTripper are nowhere near the same thing. If I buy a
> CityHopper at Penrith, I am entitled to one, and only one, return trip from
> Penrith to the City. I could do 10 return trips on a DayTripper if I was so
> inclined (and sufficiently deranged) to do so.

That's my point, how hard would it be to have the same availability for the
DayTripper as the CityHopper.  In what way are they not the same?? They both
allow unlimited trips on certain modes of transport in a given
district.  It's just that the CityHopper's area is much smaller than the
DayTripper.

> A CityHopper is actually available for travel from Morisset - it is a return
> ticket from Morisset to the City, with an add-on for the City travel. You
> seem to be complaining that a ticket *which is actually available for travel
> from Morisset* can be purhased AT Morisset, whilst a ticket *which is not
> available for travel from Morisset* can't.
>
> Whilst I agree that DayTrippers should be available for purchase, upon
> presentation of a ticket valid to the boundary of the DayTripper area, you
> cannot regard the availability of the CityHopper from Morisset as an
> inconsistency.

And I reckon that from outside the Metro area, DayTrippers should be available
either included in one ticket with the return travel to that area (a la
CityHopper) or as 2 tickets purchased at once.  If someone asks for a
DayTripper outside the metro area, how hard would it be for the person selling
the ticket to say "The DayTripper only covers to X, and the return fare from
here to there is $Y."