Re: [NSW] CityRail Ticketing, Part II

Dave Proctor wrote:

> "Al" <alpout@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> 3ac928a3$1$25472$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3ac928a3$1$25472$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
>
>> "Anita Lukaszyk" <neety@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
>> 3AC9239D.E65EBBBE@iprimus.com.au">news:3AC9239D.E65EBBBE@iprimus.com.au...

>> DayTripper

> get

> out) ,
>
>> but

>>> A DayTripper is valid for unlimited travel in the suburban area (bounded
>>> by Cowan, Richmond, Emu Plains, Macarthur, Otford). As Morisset is not
>>> in this area, you cannot purchase the ticket. CityHopper's can be
>>> purchased from any CityRail station. This allows return rail travel to
>>> the City plus unlimited rail travel in the City area (Redfern-North
>>> Sydney-City Circle-Martin Pl) and bus travel (not sure of those
>>> boundaries).
>>
>> And since you can pretty much say that a CityHopper and a DayTripper are
>> essentially the same thing, just with different boundaries, then why not
>
> allow
>
>> the DayTripper to be bought from outside the area in the same way?
>

> A CityHopper and a DayTripper are nowhere near the same thing. If I buy a
> CityHopper at Penrith, I am entitled to one, and only one, return trip from
> Penrith to the City. I could do 10 return trips on a DayTripper if I was so
> inclined (and sufficiently deranged) to do so.

It's the same with a CityHopper, just on a much smaller scale. I can buy
a CityHopper at Central and go around the City Circle 50 times too you know.

<rant>

Personally I'd like to see a system like the Centenary Of
Federation/Australia Day tickets, one unlimited travel ticket for each
of the CityRail "zones" (Metro, Outer Metro and "Regional") at a cost to
be determined by State Rail. I'm not directly affected by this though,
being a pensioner :)

I just feel that if it's possible for *me* to get a ticket like that,
then it should also be possible for the general public to, even if at a
higher cost. It can make group outings very difficult at times.

</rant>

> A CityHopper is actually available for travel from Morisset - it is a return
> ticket from Morisset to the City, with an add-on for the City travel. You
> seem to be complaining that a ticket *which is actually available for travel
> from Morisset* can be purhased AT Morisset, whilst a ticket *which is not
> available for travel from Morisset* can't.

If you could purchase a DayTripper with the fare to Cowan included (a'la
CityHopper) it would be. How is a DayTripper not just a CityHopper with
a bigger area to use it in (and naturally a bigger price tag)?

> Whilst I agree that DayTrippers should be available for purchase, upon
> presentation of a ticket valid to the boundary of the DayTripper area, you
> cannot regard the availability of the CityHopper from Morisset as an
> inconsistency.

Fare Evasion excuse #xxx... "Oh, I was going to buy a DayTripper when I
got to my destination"

We can't have a system with a loophole like that one for fare evaders,
can we?