Re: Engine Voltage

The voltage is variable and roughly proportional to engine revs.  I am not
sure of the specifics of an 81, but 2000 volts as a maximum would be
reasonable.  For a loco as modern as an 81 it is surprising to me that they
have a series/parallel transition.  I believe that most other Clyde/EMDs
with alternators run permanently connected in parallel.

rKxA5.59705$c5.165486@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:rKxA5.59705$c5.165486@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...