Re: Engine Voltage

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000 20:36:29 +1100, "Deano" <dsma@pigpond.com> wrote:

>I went for a spin in an 81 class (Goulburn-Wollongong and return) the other
>day and being curious was wondering if anyone can fill me in on the
>electrics. I noted the max amps was up to 1200 with a continuous figure
>somewhere near 800. I understand these locos produce about 2400kw which at
>1200 amps would equate to 2000 volts DC. A voltage this high would seem to
>carry a significant risk of arcing and I was wondering if this really is a
>problem or have I got the numbers wrong. I learned from the driver that the
>engine is connected to an AC generator which is then rectified to a DC
>voltage but he was not sure what it was. All in all it was a sensational
>experience and the escarpment was nothing short of spectacular in either
>direction. I have some electrical qualifications and am just curious, was
>wondering if anyone is familiar with the numbers applicable to these locos.
>regards Deano

81s have an AR16 alternator and the traction motors are parallel
connected.
This means that the total traction motor current as indicated on the
load meter is multiplied by 6 ,(6 traction motors).
The nominal output of the alternator is around 600 volts , but varies
with speed.(drops as the speed drops ,particularily when the speed
gets below 15 km/h ).

81s are transitionless (thanks to solid state power control) , but
some of the older locos provide for switching of the traction motors
into various combinations like series - parallel.
In these cases you need to know the motor combinations in order to
work out the total load current.

Some of the Vline Gs have only an AR11 alternator ,and I think that
these locos still do have switched transition for the motors,anyone
know for sure ??

MD