Re: Engine Voltage

Ron Bennell wrote:

> The voltage is variable and roughly proportional to engine revs.  I am not
> sure of the specifics of an 81, but 2000 volts as a maximum would be
> reasonable.  For a loco as modern as an 81 it is surprising to me that they
> have a series/parallel transition.  I believe that most other Clyde/EMDs

81 class engines do not shunt the field. The Traction motors are in
Parallel with each other. As was mentioned by someone else but ignored
by most the Load meter reads the traction current to one traction
motor therefore times load meter readings by 6.
Max. continuos Voltage in my Manual is quoted at 1300 volts and max.
continuos Amperage is 7020 Amps. Rated Power is 2237 kw.

By the way G and BL's are also Parallel Engines as 82 and 90 class.

Engine

--

Pope

Alias	John MacCallum