Re: QLD - Integrated Bus-Rail Services & Ticketing--->??

I couldn't imagine going back to non-integrated ticketing in Adelaide.
Originally there was a special 40 cent "transfer" (bus-bus) ticket for
full-fare paying passengers that had the purchase time hand-written by the
bus driver, then the STA tickets that had the hour of purchase indicated by
a hole punch. Finally we had the magnetic-strip with printed details Crouzet
ticket system.

Of course, an integrated timetable system makes an integrated ticketing
system worthwhile.

"John Baxter" <nsw3000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
uqbussga8rmqft7h79jnd0db038bc191up@4ax.com">news:uqbussga8rmqft7h79jnd0db038bc191up@4ax.com...

> Just wondering your thoughts.
>
> Is there any real demand for integrated bus-rail services in QLD?
>
> Yes I know it captures a good headline in the papers to bag QLD for
> not having a "transit authority" governing both trains and buses - but
> really, do people want it??

The Passenger Transport Board in SA also regulates taxis, hence we have
arrangements for late night buses to call taxis on a passenger's behalf. The
end result is a public transport system that better serves the public.

> I am astounded that the few integrated ticket products that are in
> place are, I'm told, the lowest selling tickets in the product range.
>
> What is it about integration -----> a good crest to ride in bagging
> the operators?  A good crest to ride in bagging the government?? OR a
> genuine need of the majority of people, NOT just the vocal minority!!

It's great in Adelaide to have a single ticket that gives me 10 lots of 2
hours worth of bus/train/tram journeys and not having to worry about cash.

> I wonder with genuine people power if we would ever see such a thing
> ---> I think not because I firmly believe the majority are not
> passionate about it, the majority just couldn't care. It seems that it
> is only the vocal MINORITY that writes to the papers and pollies to
> stress that there is a REAL need, by a LOT of people.
>
> Integrated public transport in QLD------> I wonder.......
>
> Anyway, that's my rant (sparked by an article in the CM on 23/9/2000,
> again doubting true integration in Qld) I guess one indicator could
> even be how many people share their thoughts to this thread.

The other great benefit of integrated timetables and ticketing is a more
consistent set of rules agreed to by all operators and enforced by the
"transit authority" - for example, here any departure ahead of scheduled
times can land the driver in trouble.

> Thanks for listening....
>
> John.

Regards,