Re: 46 Class Depot

Erk wrote:

> That would be Lithgow Loco Depot. There were all 10 85 class locos and a lot
> of 86 class locos last time I passed by at the start of August. I'm not sure
> if 4638 (which was upgraded and featured as loco 4620 in the mini-series
> "Day of the Roses" about the Granville accident) is still there.

Sorry, not quite correct!

Only six 85 class are currently stowed at Lithgow.   8503 is stowed at Delec,
whilst 8501, 8507 & 8508 are stowed at Werris Creek.

4638 was donated by FreightCorp to the NSW  Rail Transport Museum.   Under an
Agreement with Freight Rail Corporation, the unit is kept under cover and under
the wires at Delec depot, Enfield.

> To get there by train wait until after 1 October when CityRail trains again
> run to Lithgow (or if you can't wait, get an XPTor a CityRail bus from
> Katoomba or Mt Victoria). It is a long walk from the station. You will see
> the depot from the train on the left. If you manage to drive there, take the
> Great Western Highway to Mt Victoria, turn into Darling Causeway until the
> end. Turn left into the Bell's Line of Road until you see the depot on the
> right at the bottom of the hill. You can get some shots legally from behind
> a small fence in open grassland on the western side of the depot. (Don't
> forget to call in at the Zig Zag Railway). If you pull into Scenic Hill
> lookout (halfway down the road on the big hill into Lithgow) on the left,
> you will get a good shot of the depot from above (zoom recommended).

>From what I hear, FreightCorp no longer allows inspections of the depot to be
undertaken.

A good telephoto lens is recommended.

Hunslet.