Re: [NSW] 44 vs 48 class

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000 00:28:18 GMT, mauried@tpg.com.au (Maurie Daly) wrote:

>>Yes, 44s had a power rating of 1340 kW;  48s had a rating of 710 kW.

>The max ratings for a 44 are 600 tonnes up 1:40 at 19 km/h.
>Max continuous tractive effort of 47000 lbs at 19km/h.
>
>For a 48 .
>Max load up 1:40 is 450 tonnes at 13 km/h.
>Max continuous tractive effort 42500 lbs at 10 km/h .
>
>So 2 48s can haul 900 tonnes against a single 44s 600 tonnes , albeit
>at a slower speed.

>MD

As noted above, a  44 class can haul 600 tonnes up a 1:40 and 2 48 class can haul 900 tonnes up a
1:40.

The 44 has a mass of 112 tonnes and a single 48 class has a mass of 75 tonnes so two 48 class have a
mass of 150 tonnes which is an extra 38 tonnes of loco mass, compared to a single 44 class,  to be
taken off the $$$ payload.

There are also extras of other non $$ earning items such as extra diesels and generators and
traction motors that thus increase the chances of failure and breakdown out on the road.

Perhaps you can also include the costs of the extra non $$$ earning items such as the crew cabs.
These days the crew cab costs also  include the required GPS and radio systems and air conditioner
systems. A quad 48 class loco lashup has three extra GPS/radio/aircon systems that don't earn a
cracker.

It might have been cheaper to upgrade the tracks to take the mainline locos.

Cheers
Peter
Peter & Susan Cokley
petan @ powerup.com.au
http://www.welcome.to/petan
For personal replies to this message, remove NOSPAM from our address to avoid bounced mail.