Re: 4GT/Millenium Trains and the DKT's, DKM's

Tezza (tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au) wrote:

> "Barry Campbell" <campblbm@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message news:Phny5.1174>
> Tezza wrote in message
> > ><maikha_l@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 8qa3bo$6aq$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8qa3bo$6aq$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> > >
> > >2001 is the *start* of the new millenium. 1/1/2000 was the *start* of the
> > >2000th year, so the millenium and 20th century doesn't end until it ends
> on
> > >31/12/00.
> >

> > If the first century (and millenium) started in year zero, which it
> > logically must have, then the second millenium must have ended at the end
> of
> > the year 1999.

> Except that the first year of course was the year 1, not 0.

Correct. Remember that we use a calendar invented by Julius Caeser, albeit
modified slightly by Pope Gregory VIII. The Romans didn't even have a
concept of a zero, let alone a numeral to describe it. When Dionysius
Exiguus renumbered the years in 523, the concept of 0 being a number of
equal standing to "real" numbers was still not popular. That is why there
was no year 0.

The standard for time on this planet is defined by the Royal Observatory,
Greenwich. http://www.rog.nmm.ac.uk/leaflets/new_mill.html

If you want a second opinion, http://www.usno.navy.mil/millennium/whenIs.shtml

The fact that some people simply can't count is nothing new.

"We have uniformly rejected all letters and declined all discussion upon
the question of when the present century ends, as it is one of the most
absurd that can engage the public attention and we are astonished to find
it has been the subject of so much dispute, since it appears plain. The
present century will not terminate till January 1, 1801, unless it can be
made out that 99 are 100. It is a silly, childish discussion, and only
exposes the want of brains of those who maintain a contrary opinion to
that we have stated."
  - The Times, 26th December 1799

Cheers
David