[NSW] 44 vs 48 class

I read somewhere that one 44 class loco was equal (in haulage terms) to two
48 class.

Given the large number of 48s still being used, from what I've seen, in
multiples of 2, 3, 4 or even 5 and that the 48s were introduced before thr
44s, I have found myself wondering why the 44s were scrapped and the 48s (in
multiples) remain.

Sure the 48s offer a certain amount of operational flexibility (light axle
loads etc) but is this offset by the increased maintenance (2 units to
maintain rather than one) and fuel costs.

Also as LVRF are using a 44 in regular service, this would suggest to me
that it's not like the 44s couldn't fit into the modern Australian Railway
scene, even if as second fiddle to 81s, 82s, Ls, Gs, even NRs?.

Can anyone shed any light why this isn't so???

Ben