Re: Latest news on Speedrail

"William Miller" <backtran@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:39cde950$0
> I take it you are suggesting these times (check in baggage and city tx) are
> the same for plane and train.

No, I'm saying to do the comparison, you have to include it.

> Not true.I do not have to have an office "on
> the platform" to make rail a viable alternative, I just need to have it more
> accessible and central to where I want to be, and have faster check-in's
> both done everyday with VFT's.

Extra times were being added for everything for the plane example, including
travelling to/from the airport, yet times for train were only station to
station, which is not a valid comparison.

> I think the point I am trying to make, (however hopelessly) is that there is
> less stuffing about and city tx time for business passengers with VFT's vs
> air. The same level of check in time is not required on the train and the
> train is usually closer to where you want to be.

Only if where you want to be is closer to the train than the plane :-)

>Add to this the productive
> business time on the train makes it a better way to go.

I think too much is made of this "productive time".

> I have personally experienced both air and VFT over similar distances and I
> know what I would prefer from a business point of view. There is simply less
> hassle and more reliabilty with the train.I do not have my office in the CBD
> of Sydney but my business travel would be simpler if I could start from
> Central than the bloody Airport.

So for you it may be ok, I just can't see them getting the thousands they'd need
to make it viable. Freight would be a much better idea for the VFT.