Re: Latest news on Speedrail

Tezza <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
39cb8caa$0$24865$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:39cb8caa$0$24865$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...

> "William Miller" <backtran@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> news:39cb29dd$0> Tezza <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
> > > Sydney to Melboorne, I think would be a better proposition. But then
> > again, what times are they talking about? 80 minutes just to Canberra,
yet
> > > Melboorne's only an hour by plane.
> > >
> > Plus the rest. The Syd Melb gate to gate published time is 1hr 20. Add
1/2
> > hr at least for check-in etc at the front end, add city transfers you
are
> > looking at something like 2.5 hours centre to centre of completely crap
> > hassled time, business or "pleasure". This is if everything is smooth
> which
> > on the last 3 times to Melb for me has been anything but.
> >
> > I think the VFT was going to be something like 3hrs centre to centre
>
> Plus the rest. Check-in, baggage, city transfers.

I take it you are suggesting these times (check in baggage and city tx) are
the same for plane and train. Not true.I do not have to have an office "on
the platform" to make rail a viable alternative, I just need to have it more
accessible and central to where I want to be, and have faster check-in's
both done everyday with VFT's.

I think the point I am trying to make, (however hopelessly) is that there is
less stuffing about and city tx time for business passengers with VFT's vs
air. The same level of check in time is not required on the train and the
train is usually closer to where you want to be.Add to this the productive
business time on the train makes it a better way to go.

I have personally experienced both air and VFT over similar distances and I
know what I would prefer from a business point of view. There is simply less
hassle and more reliabilty with the train.I do not have my office in the CBD
of Sydney but my business travel would be simpler if I could start from
Central than the bloody Airport.