Re: Latest news on Speedrail

"William Miller" <backtran@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> I take it you are suggesting these times (check in baggage and city tx) are
> the same for plane and train. Not true.I do not have to have an office "on
> the platform" to make rail a viable alternative, I just need to have it more
> accessible and central to where I want to be, and have faster check-in's
> both done everyday with VFT's.

Good of *you*, but is that really the profile of the tens of thousands
of passengers who would need to use a VFT to make it viable?  Given
the spread out nature of Sydney and Melbourne, I would suggest that
its possibly not.

> I think the point I am trying to make, (however hopelessly) is that there is
> less stuffing about and city tx time for business passengers with VFT's vs
> air. The same level of check in time is not required on the train

My experience with both VFT and airline travel, is that if you are an
experienced traveller who understands how the particular "system"
works and uses it appropriately, the check in time is not
significantly different for either mode.

> and the train is usually closer to where you want to be.

See above.

> Add to this the productive business time on the train makes it a
> better way to go.

Only if the "business" involved is in fact something that can be done
in a public space.

> I have personally experienced both air and VFT over similar distances and I
> know what I would prefer from a business point of view.

Long distance business travel is a pain, whatever the method.  I have
had experience of both methods and can see some advantages for VFT
over middle distances (~500km) in densely populated countries, but not
in sparsely populated Australia

> There is simply less hassle and more reliabilty with the train.

Personally, I've never found intercapital city airline travel in
Australia to be "unreliable" in any significant sense except for
occasional days of exceptional weather. On the other hand I have
experienced travel disruption in both Shinkasen and TGV services
because of track problems on days normal weather.

Cheers,

Bill