Re: [NSW] Improved points operation

Tony Gatt <baulko@tig.com.au> wrote in message
8qklm3$ugh$1@bugstomper.ihug.com.au">news:8qklm3$ugh$1@bugstomper.ihug.com.au...
> "Chris Downs" <cvdowns@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> Gykz5.5082$O7.79151@ozemail.com.au">news:Gykz5.5082$O7.79151@ozemail.com.au...

>> Does the recent absence of points failures at critical
>> locations have anything to do with addition of a couple or
>> rollers beneath point blades?

>> I've noticed these additions on the AL junction points,
>> OP/main west junction at Lidcombe, points on the OP loop
>> and some other points as well.
>> The rollers are easily identified by their bright yellow
>> casings (which are largely free of grime so far).

>> Can anyone add more info on the use of these bearings, do
>> they ease the work the points motor does or eliminate
>> seizing?

> The first time I had noticed these were on the High speed
> points at Hornsby yesterday (23/9). I thought they were
> there to assist with the points as the point blade is made
> from a continuous rail, rather than a "pivoting blade"
> like regular point blades.

High Speed turnouts having a continuous blade have been around a while,
would I be correct in saying that the Vic 65km/h turnouts have always been
like that?  Do all of the NSW tangential (sp?) turnouts have blades like
this?

> Any other theories?

Rollers beneath the blades aren't new either, again they can be found in
Victoria, e.g on trailable points, 65km/h points, 60kg points etc...  These
are rollers mounted under the blade between the sleepers.

Recently Railtrack UK has been installing rollers which are integral to the
chair, to reduce point failures.

--
B.

Email - gunzel412 at dingoblue dot net dot au
ICQ#  - 82329734
Phone - long, long, short, long.