Re: Latest news on Speedrail

Tezza <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
39cea695$0$26525$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:39cea695$0$26525$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...

> "William Miller" <backtran@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> > I take it you are suggesting these times (check in baggage and city tx)
are
> > the same for plane and train.
>
> No, I'm saying to do the comparison, you have to include it.

Right! You have to include it. It's less for the train than the plane.For
Melbourne this is particularly so with a long taxi or bus ride to the city
the train would not contend with.

> Extra times were being added for everything for the plane example,
including
> travelling to/from the airport, yet times for train were only station to
> station, which is not a valid comparison.

Yes this is true, my original post should have included it. But the other
"side" posts were exagerating the other way (ie Syd Melb time on an aircraft
is not 1hr but 1hr 20min gate to gate).

> > I think the point I am trying to make, (however hopelessly) is that
there is
> > less stuffing about and city tx time for business passengers with VFT's
vs
> > air. The same level of check in time is not required on the train and
the
> > train is usually closer to where you want to be.
>
> Only if where you want to be is closer to the train than the plane :-)

Right. and the train can be more places than the plane. For example a Syd -
Canberra run can start from Parra or Hornsby as easily as Central.Central is
by and large easier to get to than the AIrport

> >Add to this the productive
> > business time on the train makes it a better way to go.
>
> I think too much is made of this "productive time".

Why? As a regular business traveller I know plane time is lost time. On the
train I can work with my Notebook or make calls or send emails, which is a
good poertion of what I do in the office! Time I have to add to the end of
the day if I do not do it. Most business users I know are in the same boat.

> > I have personally experienced both air and VFT over similar distances
and I
> > know what I would prefer from a business point of view. There is simply
less
> > hassle and more reliabilty with the train.I do not have my office in the
CBD
> > of Sydney but my business travel would be simpler if I could start from
> > Central than the bloody Airport.
>
> So for you it may be ok, I just can't see them getting the thousands
they'd need
> to make it viable. Freight would be a much better idea for the VFT.
>
>From my understanding they have the thousands in Europe in similar size
markets at similar distances.The question will be, will Australian business
user do the same?