Re: Multiple trains at level crossing

Replying to Chris and to Daniel.
I have seen four trains per closing at Union Rd, Surrey Hills, often.  My
record was six.
As I have counted before: This level crossing (plus the one at Mont Albert) has
more trains per day than any other in Melbourne.  The pair should have been
grade separated in a joint project (lowering of the tracks) when the third
track was put through in the 1960s.

Instead of putting money into a third track, airport-line investment would be
better spent on eliminating all level crossings on the Broadmeadows line (not a
difficult task), giving benefits to all services (suburban, airport and
country).
I did a survey a few months ago: IIRC elevate track at Kensington (linking the
grain siding at the up end instead of the down), lower the tracks elsewhere.
This gives the advantage that all stations can have passenger amenities at
ground level with easy bus to train interchange.

--
Regards
Roderick B Smith