Re: Latest news on Speedrail

"Maurie Daly" <mauried@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
> <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:
> >I'd certainly like to see it go ahead, but all the way to Melboorne
straight
> >off the bat and gear it for freight to try and get a couple of hundred
> >thousand truck movements off the road.
> >

> A more interesting question regarding railways in Australia is ,are
> any of them really profitable if they have to compete in a fully
> competetive market place,ie no Govt guaranteed monopolies like coal
> and grain.

More profitable than any trucking company could be if it had to pay it's
way. NSW has no government guaranteed monopolies, anyone is free to bid to
haul anything.

> The closest operator in this environment is NRC , which has as yet not
> made any profit.

But it loses less than v/Line and FreightCorpse were losing before.

> Railways like Freightcorp and QR derive more than 80% of all their
> revenue from coal and grain , and wouldnt exist if they didnt have
> this market.

Quite possible, but anyone can tender when these contracts are up for
renewal, and have before. In fact NRC even won a Hunter Valley Tender.

> Makes you wonder.

I always wonder why they won't make trucks pay their fair share.