Re: Latest news on Speedrail

"Dave Proctor" <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> "Tezza" <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
 >
> > I partially agree. But how many of those 4million car journeys made
> between Canberra and Sydney are businessmen? I'd reckon most would be
private.

> I reckon a lot would be government flunkies (pollies/public servants).

Probably right, but if they won't send them by plane, then I doubt they'd
pay for the train, unless airfares go back up and it's a cheaper
alternative.

> > > I believe that the same would be similar from Sydney to Canberra (and
> > Sydney to Melbourne and Canberra to Melbourne).
> >
> > Sydney to Melboorne, I think would be a better proposition. But then
> again, what times are they talking about? 80 minutes just to Canberra, yet
> > Melboorne's only an hour by plane.
>
> They were talking about three hours SYD - MEL - which would make it very
> competitive, when you look at centre of SYD to centre of MEL.

At the Sydney end it's only 15 minutes longer to get to the airport, if your
office or home was on Central station, so unless there's a huge time saving
to be made in Mexico City, it wouldn't compare. And I wouldn't be surprised
if they decide to run it through the airport to try and pick up some of the
custom going to Canberra, which then gets rid of most of that 15 minutes.

> > > The productive time would be much greater by rail than it would be by
> air, and that is what would be of interest to the corporate sector, and is
> what would give SpeedRail an advantage.

Not if it's going to take them an hour and a half longer to get there.

> > But they're putting computer and internet access on planes now,
so.......

> But only whilst at cruise, which for a 55 minute flight is around 25
> minutes. Not a lot of time to get in and do something.

So on a plane trip to Melboorne they'd still be about an hour ahead.