Re: [SA/VIC/NSW] Validating Tickets

Dave Proctor <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote in article
<zprJ5.51686$Ly1.573201@news5.giganews.com>:

>"Michael" <usenet.spam@gunzel.net> wrote in message
>8FD88A7A6gunzelT333@139.130.239.94">news:8FD88A7A6gunzelT333@139.130.239.94...
>> Dave Proctor <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote in article

>> >Nobody said that. What was said was that those who have tickets in
>> >those cities validate them when required to do so, only in Melbourne
>> >do they refuse to do so. All cities have their share of fare evaders,
>> >Melbourne just has more stubborn bloody-mindedness. :-)
>>
>> Face it. Melbourne has spent too much money on Metcard. Now the cost
>> is
>set
>> to *double* from the original price. I as a taxpayer don't want to
>> foot the bill, and I'm sure most others don't. It will be cheaper to
>> reinstate staff on all stations and trams and to scrap the machines
>> completely.
>
>Just have a lot more revenue protection staff, and fine people for not
>validating (lets get this sorted out in the courts once and for all).
>Maybe if it was used as intended (what is there now is *not* what was
>planned) it would have been cheaper and more reiable (although I agree
>dailies should have been available on-board trams).

And waste even more money?

A cheaper and more customer friendly approach would be to scrap the
machines, and reinstate conductors & station staff.

Think about it. Paying the extra $270 million to keep Metcard afloat, and
THEN paying CSE's to go around checking tickets, or scrapping Metcard
altogether, and reinstating station staff & tram conductors - which is
cheaper? Which is more friendly to the customer?

M.

--
(To email me just remove ".spam" off my email address).

Whip me, Beat me, just don't Windows ME