Re: [NSW] car numbering

On suburban sets, if the first number of the car is an odd number it is
a Power car, if it is an even number it is a trailer car.

On V sets and 620 rail motors it is reversed. Power car even, trailer
odd. Why?  No idea.
Perhaps it is just one of the railway's "exceptions" to which all
railway employees know of at least one?
The first number is different with Tangara, V sets and suburban stock,
so that they can be told apart on paper.

rgds

Dave Proctor wrote:

> "Hubert Lam" <hubert@imap4.com> wrote in message
> 8suep8$o3o$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8suep8$o3o$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> > With car numbering, does the first number (e.g. D6101 -- the 6)
> > indicate whether it's a motor or a trailer car, or does it bear no
> > significance?
> >
> > From observations:
> >
> > T/G set 61xx, 62xx, 68xx: driving TRAILERS (D, OD)
> > T/G set 51xx, 52xx, 58xx: noncontrol MOTORS (N, ON, ONL)
> > U set 50xx: driving MOTORS (CF)
> > U set 60xx: TRAILERS (TF/ETB)
> > S/K/C 3xxx: driving MOTORS (C)
> > S/K/C 4xxx: noncontrol or driving TRAILERS (T, D)
> > (R and L sets are fundamentally S sets, so not included)
> >
> > From here a trend can be seen: the numbering for motors is that the
> > first number is ODD, and the numbering for trailers is that the first
> > number is EVEN.
> >
> > Now coming back to the V sets, why is it that the motors have an even
> > first number and the trailers have an odd first number???
>
> I was about to mention them, when I read this paragraph. I don't think there
> is any system, apart from the fact that they wish to keep them seperate. The
> U-boats were numbered the same, i.e. motors in the 5xxx series, trailers in
> the 6xxx series. I think it is part of an averall NSW passenger rolling
> stick numbering scheme which largely has no relevance any more - which is
> why they renumbered a stack of HUB set cars to allow for the XPT cars in the
> early eighties (every series had a meaning at the time!)
>
> Dave
begin:vcard
n:Harris;Robert
tel;cell:+61 0419200497