Re: [NSW] car numbering

"Hubert Lam" <hubert@imap4.com> wrote in message
8suep8$o3o$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8suep8$o3o$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> With car numbering, does the first number (e.g. D6101 -- the 6)
> indicate whether it's a motor or a trailer car, or does it bear no
> significance?
>
> From observations:
>
> T/G set 61xx, 62xx, 68xx: driving TRAILERS (D, OD)
> T/G set 51xx, 52xx, 58xx: noncontrol MOTORS (N, ON, ONL)
> U set 50xx: driving MOTORS (CF)
> U set 60xx: TRAILERS (TF/ETB)
> S/K/C 3xxx: driving MOTORS (C)
> S/K/C 4xxx: noncontrol or driving TRAILERS (T, D)
> (R and L sets are fundamentally S sets, so not included)
>
> From here a trend can be seen: the numbering for motors is that the
> first number is ODD, and the numbering for trailers is that the first
> number is EVEN.
>
> Now coming back to the V sets, why is it that the motors have an even
> first number and the trailers have an odd first number???

I was about to mention them, when I read this paragraph. I don't think there
is any system, apart from the fact that they wish to keep them seperate. The
U-boats were numbered the same, i.e. motors in the 5xxx series, trailers in
the 6xxx series. I think it is part of an averall NSW passenger rolling
stick numbering scheme which largely has no relevance any more - which is
why they renumbered a stack of HUB set cars to allow for the XPT cars in the
early eighties (every series had a meaning at the time!)

Dave