Top Posting (was a spam story)

Dave

I'll try this and see what comments happen.

Dave Proctor wrote in message ...
|"Erk" <erk@erkV69.au.com> wrote in message
|39eed6d7@news.iprimus.com.au">news:39eed6d7@news.iprimus.com.au...
|> Dave
|>
|> You read my posts and reply to them so you obviously do...........just
|like
|> you will to this one..

I was right. You did. You obviously had no problem reading it.

|Of course - which is where interleaved replies are useful - you can reply
|each point as and when they arise.
|
|> Like I've said on numerous occasions, there is nothing worse than
|scrolling
|> to the bottom of a post or a series of posts just to find a dumb answer
|like
|> "me too".
|
|Actually, there is somethign worse, and that is finding the answer to three
|or four questions at the top of the post, rather than each answer after
each
|question, which is where they should be.

Says who? I snip crap to make things easier to read, especially when it is
10 million "me too" type answers.

|> If it was an industry standard thing, it would be in all programs
|> including Outlook Express which I use.
|
|I use OE as well, and Oe places you at the top of the post so that you can
|place yourself down to where the answer should be (after snipping the
|rest) - refer to the microsfot.* newsgroups for further information on
this,
|as well as the proper method of replying in newsgroup posts.

I presume you mean microsoft* newsgroups.

|> There are many people in newsgroups including this one who do top post.
|
|And every single one of them are defying newsgroup conventions.

Newsgroup convention? I'll say again, says who? I've been top posting ever
such I've discovered newsgroups because many people do it and on the whole,
I have found that people do not have problems with it (except of course on
here once in a blue moon and on the other NG whose name we both know. Why it
is only an issue with me and the occasional other person every few months I
don't know. If when I was a newbie this was pointed out, I would have had an
idea there was (is) a problem. However, I am not a newbie. It frustrates me
that people don't snip their "me too" wars and you have to scroll down to
the end to find it. I'd imagine it is just like having a kid who throws
things into a fan or bashes up their sister........if it is condoned,
tolerated or not advised of the problem but is accepted anyway, the child
knows it can do it with no drama. Same here.

|> those people (self appointed newsgroup police)
|
|They are not self-appointed, they are merely pointing out to others that
|they are doing the wrong thing, as defined by convention. Do you get the
|**its when someone is sitting in the right hand lane in an 80km/h zone? The
|law says you do not have to keep left unless overtaking unless the speed
|limit is 90km/h or higer - but convention says you do it anyway, so that
|those who wish to defy the speed limit can do so.

If you have not been appointed by someone to do some task, role or duty but
you do it anyway, you could be regarded as self-appointed.

|Likewise with posting. There is nothing set in concrete about how to post,
|but convention says you snip everything irrelevant, and interweave your
|reply with the relevant parts (which you have retained).

If there is nothing set in concrete, no newsgroup FAQ or no comment about
top posting except after a few irrelevant posts, what is the problem? If you
can read my posts and I can read yours, there is no problem as far as I'm
concerned.

|Although if you want to be identified as a newbie know-nothing, that is
your
|business, not mine.....
|
|> who want to flame me on top
|> posting, talk to the hand.........the ears aren't listening.
|
|Neither is the brain.

You didn't read what I said it appears. I am not going to sit and listen to
flaming for the sake of flaming. If you or anyone else wants to have an
intelligent, logical conversation like the one I'm replying to, I have no
problem with that. If people want to flame me, they should save their breath
or their fingers............There's a difference between listening to a
sensible conversation/explanation and not listening to mindless drivel (that
should be snipped or placed on a NG that caters for it)..

--
Eric
www.erk.au.com

This post was brought to you with