Re: [VIC] New Level crossing bells

Barry Campbell <campblbm@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
oTBG5.39808$O7.502103@ozemail.com.au">news:oTBG5.39808$O7.502103@ozemail.com.au...

> One of the things I noticed when I moved to Qld is that level crossings do
> not seem to have bells here. Also, each railway system seems to have a
> different design of signal.

The problem with bells is that they annoy the local populace. By installing
electronic alarms (we call them SonarAlerts in Brisbane), we can adjust
the volume level or in addition, fit a cage to attenuate the sound so that
it
only aplies to the crossing.

Bells or whatever, are considered to be a Pedestrian Warning, not a
vehicle warning.

Vehicles are supposed to pay attention to the big flashing lights & the half
booms.

Peter Dwyer