[VIC] New Level crossing bells

On the Clarke St Level crossing, at the down end of Merri station (Epping
line) the level crossing has a new type of bell that I have never seen or
heard on any other level crossing.
The bell casing itself is cylindrical, and flush with the post. There is no
sign of the actual bell, but there are a lot of little holes on the
cylinder.
The noise that it makes is a lot lower than other level crossings I have
heard, it is almost as if the level crossing is playing too slowly!!
Are there any more of these around and is there any reason for the low pitch
of the bells?

--
Sam Eades
seades@bigpond.net.au