Re: [VIC] New Level crossing bells

Samuel Eades <seades@bigpond.net.au> wrote in article
<tLrF5.3193$wG1.9242@news-server.bigpond.net.au>:

>On the Clarke St Level crossing, at the down end of Merri station
>(Epping line) the level crossing has a new type of bell that I have
>never seen or heard on any other level crossing.
>The bell casing itself is cylindrical, and flush with the post. There is
>no sign of the actual bell, but there are a lot of little holes on the
>cylinder.
>The noise that it makes is a lot lower than other level crossings I have
>heard, it is almost as if the level crossing is playing too slowly!!
>Are there any more of these around and is there any reason for the low
>pitch of the bells?

I believe these may be the electronic pseudo-bells that have been
introduced on many other lines so far. I've heard them at Kensington, and
all along the Upfield line so far (though there might be some crossings
with real bells). I was informed a little while ago that these are
gradually taking over as the volume can be adjusted, as to not annoy
residents (who moved in AFTER the railways I might add!) who may be
sleeping. My guess is that they may be less prone to problems, since they
don't contain any moving parts.

Now to have one that detects a stationary car on the tracks and whines "Get
off the tracks you f***ing dimwit! There is a train coming!" (-:

M.

--
(To email me just remove ".spam" off my email address).