Re: NSW steam loco boilers

In article <8s5u23$pgo$1@gossamer.itmel.bhp.com.au>,
  "Chris Stratton" <stratton.chris.cp@bhp.com.au> wrote:

> I was recently going through my Roundhouse magazines and there was a
photo
> taken at Thirlmere showing 2705 3001 3137 3642 5910 in steam and the
caption
> had something like "How many other preservation groups in Australia
could
> have 5 locos in steam at any one time?".

Five steamers is a great effort but maybe not so remarkable...

I think the Don River crowd in Northern Tassie have 4 operating 3'6"
steam locos, with several more under restoration.  They also own a 2'
gauge Hunslet 0-4-2T in going order, but that's currently leased to the
Ida Bay Railway, from whence it came.

The Illawarra Light Railway people can boast 4 steamers, plus electic,
diesel, petrol and kero operating locos (worth a mention because I had
a great day down there last Sunday!).

The Queenscliff group have quite a few operating 3'6" steam locos, not
sure exactly how many though, and one of them (ex Queensland) is down
in Tassie (in Queenstown) at the moment (too many Queens!).

I wonder how many operating steam locos there are in Oz?  Tassie can
claim about a dozen, there would be more than that in Victoria, WA has
quite a few, the other states...?

James

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.