Re: [Aust wide] Everyone in aus.rail

"Chris Brownbill" <cbrnbill@enternet.com.au> wrote in message
39E31656.B0F1362F@enternet.com.au">news:39E31656.B0F1362F@enternet.com.au...

[snip]

> What about the Port Adelaide electric tramways.  Then there's all the
Adelaide
> horse tramways, and not forgetting the Gawler station to Gawler town
tramway!

> When you look at it like this - SA has lost way more in relative terms
than
> anywhere else in the country, and what remains is under more of a cloud
than in
> other States - busway rumours etc.

Yes, I forgot the original Gawler route - there are some old photographs on
display in Gawler showing trains going along the main street - and yes I
miss Ellen Street Port Pirie station.

> > Finally, the only *re-opened after track pulled up* section I know of in
SA,
> > Victor Harbour - Granite Island is a great reminder that sometimes a
line
> > can be rebuilt.
> >

> Wasn't part of the Willunga line reopened south of Hallett Cove when the
'new'
> line was opened to Christie Downs?

Never closed - there was the Port Stanvac goods line built before the
Willunga line was pulled up. The junction was at Hallet Cove station.
Passenger trains still ran to Hallet Cove after the Willunga line closed,
then were extended to Hallet Cove Beach, then Lonsdale and Christie Downs,
then finally Noarlunga Centre - I wish that it would be extended further
like originally intended.

> Also what about Pichi Richi from Woolshed
> Flat to Saltia and Stirling North!  Were these pulled up or simply left
unused?

Unused.

> > In NSW, who could forget the line running north from Broken Hill which
> > included the site of the "Turks' last stand"?
> >

> Do you mean the Tarrawingee tramway or was that on the Silverton tramway
> mainline?

Tarrawingee tramway.

Arthur.