Re: Redundancy @ FreightCorp?

Maurie Daly <mauried@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
39e1991c.32546971@can-news.tpg.com.au">news:39e1991c.32546971@can-news.tpg.com.au...
> On Mon, 9 Oct 2000 18:34:09 +1000, "avachat"
> <avachat@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:
>
> >Their are notices posted in the Delec Train Crew Assignment building from
> >many of those who argue that it is their right to receive a redundancy
> >payout when FreightCorp is sold.They base their argument on the following
> >two scenarios.
> >Those who originally went to National Rail received an incentive payment
> >plus accessed their Super.
> >Then their was the GrainCorp experience where FreightCorp drivers
received
> >the redundancy on a Friday and started with GrainCorp on the following
> >Monday.
> >The RTBU Locomotive Division ( 3 Bobs ) feel somewhat differently, citing
> >the AN experience where the new owner
> >signed up their employees on AWAs.Sure they received the redundancy but
are
> >far worse off now.
> >The vast majority i am informed are still employed as casuals and are
> >earning far below what they enjoyed with AN.
> >The 3 Bobs are arguing for continuity of employment so as the award
> >conditions remain in place.Their is much to lose by taking the dangerous
> >road many are demanding, all for a short term monitory gain.
> >I am not posting this to create heated debate, but would welcome the
> >of the many active authors to this NG plus maybe some of the lurkers who
> >subscribe but don't type much.
> >Cheers
> >avachat
> >

> I cant comment in the Railway industry,but having recently got out of
> the Commonwealth Public service via a VR(voluntary redundancy),its far
> far better to get the VR and then take your chances on continuing
> employment with the new owner,after all they will still need
> employees.
> Irrespective of what the State Govt may say , once Freightcorp has
> been sold there is no obligation on the new employer to offer any kind
> of job security whatsoever,or to adhere to any industry awards .
> I would have though that Freightcorp employees would be classiified as
>
> State public servants ,and therefore by entitled to VRs.
>
> Of course ,the NSW Govt will be trying as hard as it can to avoid
> having to pay VRs to anyone ,as did my ex employer.
>
> MD

Thanks for the response Maurie,
I can see the points and understand what your saying,
more to FreightCorp employees point I guess is the worry that today their
redundancy is worth
up to 75 weeks pay + + + ++ + + etc
but after they start with the new employer their redundancy will only be
worth
a considerable amount less due to the reduced time employed should they
become surplus
to the new bosses needs.
Heck it's gonna be a hard decision to make, but make one we must so as we
can tell the union
which direction we want them to travel on our behalf.
avachat