Re: Redundancy @ FreightCorp?

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000 18:34:09 +1000, "avachat"
<avachat@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:

>Their are notices posted in the Delec Train Crew Assignment building from
>many of those who argue that it is their right to receive a redundancy
>payout when FreightCorp is sold.They base their argument on the following
>two scenarios.
>Those who originally went to National Rail received an incentive payment
>plus accessed their Super.
>Then their was the GrainCorp experience where FreightCorp drivers received
>the redundancy on a Friday and started with GrainCorp on the following
>Monday.
>The RTBU Locomotive Division ( 3 Bobs ) feel somewhat differently, citing
>the AN experience where the new owner
>signed up their employees on AWAs.Sure they received the redundancy but are
>far worse off now.
>The vast majority i am informed are still employed as casuals and are
>earning far below what they enjoyed with AN.
>The 3 Bobs are arguing for continuity of employment so as the award
>conditions remain in place.Their is much to lose by taking the dangerous
>road many are demanding, all for a short term monitory gain.
>I am not posting this to create heated debate, but would welcome the views
>of the many active authors to this NG plus maybe some of the lurkers who
>subscribe but don't type much.
>Cheers
>avachat

I cant comment in the Railway industry,but having recently got out of
the Commonwealth Public service via a VR(voluntary redundancy),its far
far better to get the VR and then take your chances on continuing
employment with the new owner,after all they will still need
employees.
Irrespective of what the State Govt may say , once Freightcorp has
been sold there is no obligation on the new employer to offer any kind
of job security whatsoever,or to adhere to any industry awards .
I would have though that Freightcorp employees would be classiified as

State public servants ,and therefore by entitled to VRs.

Of course ,the NSW Govt will be trying as hard as it can to avoid
having to pay VRs to anyone ,as did my ex employer.

MD