Re: Shunted trains at Royal Park

You might think I'm being a bit picky, but I'm still not convinced that
trains were stabled out there. I can go with "shunt and return" but
cannot recollect a full stable. I do remember the extra siding.

I'm concerned about getting more info because the initial comments made
mentioned "..many of the trains from the Ringwood line went to the
Upfield ..". Then it says ".. Some were kept on the Fitzroy line during
the day .." and the reply to my post was ".. 1976 .." and " "..From the
info I have, one of the trains ..".

ONE train?

My point is that the perception of the events can be easily distorted.

Whilst it was the practice to route some ringwood line trains through
Flinders St to avoid reverse move shunts, some went to Macauley
stablings and some formed Upfield/Gowrie trains.

So the afternoon peak was composed of docks from the FSS yard, Macauley
and some shunt/redocks from Royal Park. perhaps the 4.43 was the ONLY
train to redock from Royal Park.

So the next question is what information do you really have, what was
the duration of the Royal Park shunt/redocks and what triggered the
events to start with.?

The only answers I can provide is the operation of shunt/redock was
there from 1975. The only event I can see that triggered the move was
the congested yard/traffic moves. If I recall, the underground loop dig
also affected access. Spencer St lost its stabling sidings too (
restored much later in the 1980's, from memory )

--
Peter J. Vincent

Website ............ http://www.netspace.net.au/~pjv101/index.htm