Re: [Melb] Old railway line

> When did the Inner and Outer circle lines close? It must have been
> before my time. I only recall them as abandoned tracks in the 60s and
> 70s, well, not even tracks, just a roadbed, through East Kew.

Well the Fitzroy line from Royal park was not closed until 31/7/1984
(But Fitzroy was closed 31/7/1981).

I understand before the City Loop when there was through running of
trains, many of the trains from the Ringwood line went to the Upfield
line, and Royal Park.  Some were kept on the Fitzroy line during the day
to run back to Lilydale/Belgrave in the evening peak.  (one notable
train being the 5:04pm from Flinders Street (said as 5 4 Lilydale))
which was usually a 7 car Tait train, it pulled into a packed platform 1
centre at Flinders Street to be filled to capacity.

--

C.

WEB   : www railpage org au / vicsig
EMAIL : cmgord at alphalink dot com dot au
ICQ   : three two nine eight nine four five zero

Go join VRN : www egroups com / subscribe / vicrail-news