Re: w32.hybris.gen.Virus

"Dave Proctor" <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
4FPU5.58520$DG3.1108244@news2.giganews.com">news:4FPU5.58520$DG3.1108244@news2.giganews.com...
> "Michael" <usenet.spam@gunzel.net> wrote in message
> 8FFAEEEB1gunzelT333@203.164.20.149">news:8FFAEEEB1gunzelT333@203.164.20.149...
> > Comtrain@optusnet.com.au (Rod [comtrain]) wrote in
> > <3a225999$0$19417$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>:
> > ISP's can't legally give out any information on any of their clients
> > without a special request from a law enforcement department, under the
> > privacy act.
>
> The Privacy Act 1988 is an Act of the Commonwealth Parliament applicable
> only to Commonwealth and ACT Government agencies, and also to credit
> providers. It is arguable as to whether an ISP is a credit provider, if
they
> receive payment in advance then they are not credit providers, and do not
> fall under the Privacy Act.
>
> > If the ISP does give out the information, they can be prosecuted for
> > supplying information protected by the privacy act. Or something to this
> > effect...
>
> Cite?

If the ISP has a privacy policy then they must stick by that. It seems as
though Ozemail believes it is affected by law.

"OzEmail Internet has many obligations in relation to the protection of your
privacy under various Federal Government Acts of Parliament, including the
Telecommunications Act 1997. For more information on our obligations with
your personal particulars, visit the Australian Privacy Commissioner’s
website at http://www.privacy.gov.au"

Still, sending viruses isn't nice, but people don't often mean to do it. Tha
fact is that viruses CAN spread automatically, and transfer is usually
accidental.