Re: Travel patterns (was Re: New form of rail transportation)

> I don't know much about ferry design, but it seems unlikely that you can
> design a ferry that can negotiate the outer reaches of Port Phillip Bay at
> good commuter speed and still fit under the very low Spencer street and
> Queen Street bridges.
>
> Any boaties out there care to comment?

Clearance of the bridges in the City (again from Map 85 in the Melway):
Charles Grimes Bridge: 3.2 metres
Spencer Street Bridge 2.3 metres
Kings Bridge: 2.4 metres
Queens Bridge: 2.5 metres.

For Extreme high tides (about once a month) the clearance at Spencer
Street can be less than 2 metres.

Maybe we will have to build the ferry interchange at Victoria Harbour
and have some sort of link to Spencer Street station (it is only 400
metres, we can have some nice moving walkway or something, but please no
monorail).

--

C.

WEB   : www railpage org au / vicsig
EMAIL : cmgord at alphalink dot com dot au
ICQ   : three two nine eight nine four five zero

Go join VRN : www egroups com / subscribe / vicrail-news