Re: Doncaster line revisited (Was: New form of rail transportation)

Michael <usenet.spam@gunzel.net> wrote in message
8FEDC5475gunzelT333@139.130.239.94">news:8FEDC5475gunzelT333@139.130.239.94...
> MiCRiC <slagel@senet.com.au> wrote in article
> <3A123917.B24426F6@senet.com.au>:
>
> >Shame on you for suggesting such as thing...  Public transport on
> >freeways is of bugger all use to anyone.  Because it can only travel of
> >a freeway it cant stop very often, and consequentially can serve a
> >mininal number of distinations and wont appeal to consumers...
>
> On the other hand, a railway down the middle of the Eastern Freeway would
> be of great benefit. Would be great to be a passenger of a train doing
> 115kph, when the cars can only do 100 (-:

I've seen thsi in Perth. It's great.

> Seriously though, a proper railway to Doncaster is long overdue. Every day
> I see the hundreds of cars lined up going into the city.
>
> If you were to run a railway into Doncaster (and/or beyond), what route
> would you use, where would you put stations?
>
> --
> (To email me just remove ".spam" off my email address).

They sold off the land to Templestowe so that route is out of teh question.

My favoured route would be to run the line along the old route from Royal
Park, east to Victoria Park and then spur it off onto the freeway. Stations
along there would be at Princes Park and Nth Fitzroy.

My first station would be at the Chandler Highway where one could
interchange to light rail or a new train service running along the old outer
circle route.

The line would continue along the middle of the freeway - at least as far as
the Ringwood line where a new interchange station would be built.

More interchange stations (like northern rail in Perth) at Burke Rd, Tram
Rd, Blackburn Rd, Springvale Road, Mitcham Road (not sure if it is called
this).

Service frequency = minimum every 15 minutes like Perth

cheers Peter