Re: Electrification and patronage

"Peter Berrett" <pberrett@optushome.com.au> wrote in message
SZbN5.9380$Xx3.40886@news1.eburwd1.vic.optushome.com.au">news:SZbN5.9380$Xx3.40886@news1.eburwd1.vic.optushome.com.au...

> Hi all
>
> I was just pondering Adelaides diesel services and wondering why they have
> not joined Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane and Sydney in having electrified
> services.
>
> I have a few questions
>
> 1. Was the Perth electrification substantially funded by the WA State Govt
> or the Federal Govt. If it was subtantially funded by the Federal Govt why
> haven't the feds funded electrification of Adelaide's network?

Was funded by the state government. There may or may not have been *some*
federal funding, although not sure.

> 2. Has the electrification of Perth's network led to a substantial
increase
> in patronage?  Ditto Brisbane?

Yes, although in Perth, the frequent services (4 per hour) definitely helps.
There is really no need for timetables, you miss one train, the next is in
less than 15 minutes.

> It is amazing that the railway to Darwin is going through but noone has
> tackled the problem of Adelaide's electrification yet.

The South Australian government is not interested in railways. Whether or
not this is because of the Adelaide public's indifference to rail travel, or
the indifference is due to the attitude of the government and a lack of
services, is something for a Ph.D. thesis.

> It would be great to see broad gauge emus running on Adelaide's tracks

Agreed.

Dave