Re: Electrification and patronage

Dave Proctor <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
WfON5.130337$bI6.5101587@news1.giganews.com">news:WfON5.130337$bI6.5101587@news1.giganews.com...
> "Peter Berrett" <pberrett@optushome.com.au> wrote in message
> SZbN5.9380$Xx3.40886@news1.eburwd1.vic.optushome.com.au">news:SZbN5.9380$Xx3.40886@news1.eburwd1.vic.optushome.com.au...
> >

> The South Australian government is not interested in railways. Whether or
> not this is because of the Adelaide public's indifference to rail travel,
or
> the indifference is due to the attitude of the government and a lack of
> services, is something for a Ph.D. thesis.
>
> > It would be great to see broad gauge emus running on Adelaide's tracks
>
> Agreed.
>
> Dave

Hi guys

Just returned from a week in Adelaide. Used train from Belair to city four
times, Outer Harbour and Gawler once each. Travelled both peak and off peak
and found the trains clean, comfortable, on time and well patronised. At a
guess, the peak loadings would be around 85-90%. Trains generally ran as two
dmus' and Gawler ran as four dmus', all full. Ticket inspector(s) on all
trains checking for validated tickets. Overall a good experience but better
frequency would be good. If electrification had the same effect in Adelaide
as elsewhere it would be more than worthwhile. I can hear the pigs as I
type. :)

cheers, Clinton